Note: This is serial fiction. Please read the previous parts before starting with this one:
Link to previous part : http://ashrafchoudhury.blogspot.in/2013/08/the-case-of-mysterious-messages-part-10.html
She was looking at me,
judging me, trying to decide what to play next.
“It was here when I came.
I collected it and put it in my bag” Anju finally replied, fishing through her
bag.
Finally she came out with
a Samsung charger, and showed it to us.
“But he had a Nokia
phone, right?” I asked.
“How…How do you know
that?” she stuttered, and her voice was now quivering.
“After you left last
night, I went to visit a friend who is an ethical hacker. We went through the
mail that you and Ravi had been exchanging, and his signature on all his mails
was ‘Sent from my Nokia phone’” I finally brought her house down.
“You hacked into my
inbox?” she said it more with anger than with surprise.
“Let’s say I did a lot more than that, Anju,” I said. “And I know a lot
more than you think.”
Her head was bowed. And I continued to rub it in.
“When I went through all the mails you and Ravi had been exchanging,
I found something very curious.
There was a detailed description of the kidnap
drama you two would enact, of how his company’s HR department would pay the
money, how you would negotiate and how you would collect the money. But there
was one thing missing. You know what I mean don’t you?”
She looked up. Her eyes were boring into me, yet at the same time they were
a thousand miles away.
“There was no mention of approaching Ravi’s parents and asking them
to fund the ransom. That was your own little scheme- a little bonus you had planned
for yourself, right, Anju? Ravi had no clue you were trying to con his parents
as well, did he?”
At this, tears started
flowing out of her eyes. She didn’t even try to hide them.
“But…they deserved it, didn’t
they?” she stuttered, in between sobs.
“I am sure they did. But this kind of a revenge scheme, with a double cross thrown into a fake
kidnap plot, is too complicated to work, don’t you see, Anju?”
She didn’t say anything, and went on sobbing.
“Ravi must have found out
somehow that you were trying to squeeze his own parents with his own plan. He
was a devout son, and never had any ill felling for his parents. That is why he
walked out of your plan. And walked out of here. Out of his own free will. And
that is when his messages on Facebook started getting nasty, didn’t they Anju?”
I finally elaborated everything for everyone’s benefit.
She was crying loudly
now, having no more cards to play. Both Sunil and Lola were equally stunned, at
Anju’s evil designs and my newly discovered detective play to say anything.
“But there is one thing
that I don’t understand” I finally asked. “After playing your double game with
Ravi’s parents, how on earth did you plan to stay happily with Ravi and your
child anymore?”
And the answer she gave
sent shivers down the spine of everyone present there, and sent us scurrying
out of the door.
***
Sunil had finally got off
the phone, and I and Lola were eagerly waiting for him to give us the news.
The rain had stopped, and
we were sitting in K.C.Das restaurant on M.G.Road.
“That was Inspector
Mirza, my good friend from Banjara Hills Police station. They had checked in at
Ravi’s parents’ house at Banjara Hills. But it seems the house was already empty
by the time they reached there.
The neighbors too had no idea where the family
could have gone. But the local travel agent who runs a travel agency just below
the apartment, has confirmed that Ravi had come to his office yesterday, and
had booked three tickets to London for last night.” Sunil finally informed the
two of us.
“So did they safely check
out?” Lola asked excitedly.
“Yes. Mirza checked with
the airport authorities, and found out that Ravi Rao and his parents had infact
boarded the flight to London at 10pm last night.” Sunil replied, and we heaved
a sigh of relief.
“So the goons that Anju
had hired to enact the robbery cum murder at Ravis’s parents’ house must have failed”
I asked.
“Yes. She must have
thought that with Ravi’s parents out of the way, there was no way Ravi could
have found out that she had asked his parents to pay fifty lakh rupees for his
ransom. And with no one else in this world to go to, she had thought that she
would have Ravi all to herself” Sunil added.
“It was the perfect plan.
Too bad Ravi found out about her evil plan. But how did he get to know?” Lola
asked.
“It seems he got an email
intimation from the Bank when his father withdrew thirty lakh rupees from their
joint account. Then he must have got in touch with his father, who was
surprised that his son was still in India, and that too in good health. Ravi
then would have told his father about the plan that he along with Anju had made
to collect some money for their soon to be born child. Surely his father would
then tell him that they too had received a call asking for his ransom. And then
Ravi could clearly read through Anju’s double game”, Sunil explained.
“All said and done, I
want to know why did you let that bitch walk free after all this?” Lola asked
me.
“Isn’t it a fair
punishment to her that the love of her life, for whom she had hatched all this
conspiracy, has left him for good? Didn’t you see the way she had cried and
moaned when he sent her the last message on facebooktoday from London? Plus the
pain of bearing his child, without him beside her, won’t that itself kill her?”
I asked, putting one hand on Lola’s shoulder.
“True. And moreover, come
to think of it, she didn’t really commit a real crime. Ofcourse she could be
booked for conspiring against Ravi’s parents ‘with intent to kill’ charges and
‘fraud’, but remember Ravi himself staged his own kidnap. He was also involved.
So Anju had planned a kidnap that didn’t happen, asked for ransom money that she
never got, and hired goons to execute a murder of an old couple who had already
left the country for good. So tell me, what were you going to charge her
with?”Sunil added, supporting my judgment.
Lola could see reason
now. She was smiling. And then she put her arms around me and kissed me on my
cheeks.
It was my turn to blush
now.
“So Anuj, I have a
proposal for you? I am old now and its time I retire. How about carrying on my
legacy and joining me at my office as a private investigator?” Sunil smiled and
asked me, taking another bite from one more famous Bengali rasgulla.
“Oh come on Sunil, I am
not cut out for all this dangerous cloak and dagger stuff. I am just the guy
who loves to poke his nose in other’ peoples’ affairs, once in a while” I
smiled, taking another puff from my cigarette, and blowing up smoke into the
clear sky.
The clouds had parted,
and the sun had come out after a long time. Bangalore weather, as predictable
as ever, I thought, wondering about the beautiful city that I lived in, with
all its unpredictability and unpredictable people.
I so loved this city.
(Concluded)


1 comment:
This is really a nice post.
And its like an ugly truth that smoking and blowing uop the smoke in the clear sky is really a wonderfull experience.
And offcourse the Bengali Rasugulla which is outmost famous in all over the world, who ca forget this.
Keep posting on it.
Post a Comment